A recent study showed that 45% of adults are unhappy with their smile. A large portion of these would like a brighter, whiter smile. There are a number of ways to naturally whiten your teeth.
1. This might be obvious but brushing your teeth twice a day for at least 2 minutes with a good electric tooth brush is a great way to remove superficial stains and plaque bacteria.
2. Using floss or interdental brushes. Plaque bacteria can appear as creamy yellow. If this hardens it becomes tartar that can stain easily over time. Cleaning in between your teeth can help remove the plaque bacteria keeping your gums healthy and your teeth brighter.
3. Eating cheese after a meal can help to neutralize the acid and strengthen the teeth as it contains calcium and phosphate ions which can in turn help the appearance of teeth
4. Eating crispy foods such as apples, celery and carrots. They have a naturally abrasive element which can help to remove stains. Abrasive foods should still be eaten in moderation as excess can actually cause damage to your teeth.
5. Strawberries have an acidic content that also helps to whiten your teeth. As strawberries also have natural sugars eating too many can end up causing acid erosion and tooth decay.
6. Drinking through a straw. Coloured drinks can stain your teeth. Drinking through a straw bypasses the teeth and avoids staining them.
7. Baking soda. Due to the abrasive nature of baking soda it can help to improve the appearance of teeth. A word of caution this can permanently damage your teeth if used excessively.
The easiest way to improve the colour of your teeth is to professionally tooth whiten them. Speak to your dentist to ensure you are suitable. Tooth whitening is safe and easy to do. Call us to see how we can help.
Time Dental- Private dental care at its best.