Tom Cruise with adult dental clear braces
Adult braces are becoming very common now, so if you are thinking of having fixed clear braces or if you have fixed braces on right now have a look at these tips to help you through your treatment time. We understand that the first couple of months of fixed braces can be the most challenging for you while you adjust to the braces.
1. Keep the end goal in mind. This is really important especially if you are having the 6 month smile clear braces. Keep focused on the end result and your new smile, this will make the hassle of the braces a worth while investment.
2. In the first few weeks you may find that the brackets can rub on the inside of your lips. Use a very small piece of dental wax, warm it up between your fingers and press gently onto the bracket that is rubbing. You only need a small amount. Sometimes the brackets on the lower front teeth will rub so warm the wax between your fingers into a long sausage shape.
3. Re use the wax. So that you don’t get through lots of wax you can re use it when the rubbing stops.
4. Avoid hard crunchy food. You will find it harder to eat and could also risk debonding a bracket. Stick to soft foods like pasta, mash potato, yogurts, soup, soft vegetables.
5. Avoid food or drinks with high colours in as they can stain the clear brackets eg, red sauces, tomato based pasta sauce, curries (due to the turmeric), red wine, mouthwashes with intense colouring.
6. Food will get stuck every time you eat so keep a few yellow and pink sized tepe interdental brushes in your pocket or handbag. Yellow tepe to get around the brackets and pink to get in between the teeth.
7. Peroxyl mouth wash helps to sooth any sore spots on the cheeks and helps keep the brackets clean.
8. If a bracket debonds don’t panic, it can be easily refitted at your next review appointment.
9. Your teeth will feel tender initially. In the first few weeks the teeth may feel tender or sensitive- this is normal as the teeth are adjusting to the gentle pressure movements. Take some analgesics like paracetamol or ibuprofen.
10. Remember it does get much easier after the first few weeks! Once you get past the first few weeks you will adjust to the braces very quickly.
Call us to see how we can help you smile with confidence.
Time Dental- private dental care at its best