Sugar has been headline news recently. It’s very hard to avoid it as it’s in many foods. If you have a high frequency of sugar intakes throughout the day it makes you a high risk category for tooth decay to happen.
Sometimes it’s difficult not to snack between your main meals and it’s often tricky to think of healthy alternatives. So we’re going to give you a helping hand and give you a list of healthy alternatives. Have a look below and try them out!
- Fresh fruit - grapes, melon, a banana, strawberries, a tangerine, a pear, a peach, a plum, an apple. Fresh fruit kebabs can be fun to make and eat.
- Fresh vegetables - tomatoes -(technically a fruit!), celery, carrot and cucumber sticks, sliced peppers, sugar snap peas.
- Sandwiches - try various fillings: cold meat, tuna, grated cheese, egg, salad items, tomato or banana.
- Dairy – low fat yoghurt, low fat cheese and low fat cottage cheese
- Some other choices - bread sticks, oatcakes, crackers, rice cakes, a plain or cheese scone, a crumpet, a bagel, a potato scone, a pancake, a toasted teacake.
It’s important to remember that even fresh fruit if consumed in excess ie nibbling on them throughout the day can still result in tooth decay so moderation is key.
Happy healthy snacking, From the the Time Dental team.